Monday, July 3, 2017

Fencing Update

We left off with quite a bit of lumber, some gates, and posts in the ground.

Friday


On Friday, Steph got the posts and the top board stained. She also picked up the 100' of 48" woven horse fence.






Saturday


On Saturday my Dad came over and we started to stretch the wire. I read a few DIY articles on how to do this, and they all recommended using a stretcher bar and a tractor or come-along to pull the fence. We ended up building a stretcher bar out of two 2x4s and a few bolts/nuts to hold them together. The idea is that you can grab along the entire fence so it gets stretched evenly. Then you staple it to hold the tension and wrap the wire around the terminal posts for added security.

Not having a tractor, we used Steph's Dad's old come-along to pull and the trusty Toyota Sequoia (5400lbs+ dry) as the anchor. Pics below of the first section with the stretcher bar.


You can see that the fence sags pretty hard, until we add the power of the come-along :)

On Saturday, we got four of the five fence sections stretched and stapled. The fence is damn tight





Sunday

For Sunday we had to finish one section of fence and install the gates. The last section of fence was tricky for a couple of reasons. 
  1. The section was that butted up against the garage, so we had to notch around a gutter down spout.
  2. Because the post was near the garage it couldn't be pounded it, it had to be hand dug. The issue? Digging the hole loosens up the ground around the post therefore it was less sturdy than the other pounded posts.
  3. The post was screwed to the house for added strength, but
    1. The post was too tight to the house which prevented us from slipping the wire fence around it.
    2. When we backed the screws out to release the post, the post cracked down the middle.
I devised, what I think to be, a pretty nifty solution.
  1. Slip three 6" host clamps between the post and the house and synch them up super tight, thus, mitigating the weakness created by the crack in the post.
  2. Back the screws out with someone helping the post separate from the house with a pry bar.
  3. Slip the wire fence around the post and staple it.
  4. Lastly, sink in three 8" Olylog screws.
This worked very well, and we were able to finish the last section.

Next up were the gates. Each gate gets supported by a 11/16" hardened steel bolt with a washer and nut on either side of the post. We mocked up the gates and found our spots to drill. I started with a 1/4", then 1/2" and then finally 3/4" hole using a big ass old Stanley auger drill. We pounded the bolts through then got everything centered and level. I used locktite on the threads before tightening them down hard. To clean it up, I then nipped off 2/3 of the extra bold length using a grinder with a cut wheel.

I don't have any pictures of this stage in progress, but I do have some glorious "Phase 1 complete" pictures.

North side of the house with the 4' gate


South side of the house with the 6' gate and the 12' gate


Two final things

We had a amazing, end to end, double rainbow to our East.


The gates have also been tested to contain the beast.


Next up, Phase 2.

No comments:

 
Custom Search